Gleaming cherry red with scarlet flashes. The nose is very expressive and elegant with notes o black cherry and peppermint. The barrel ageing gives toasted and lightly vanilla notes. The 300metres of altitude of our parcels explains the unexpected freshness and tension on the first palate. The tannins are fine and elegant. Lovely smoky notes mingle with small red berry fruit and spices. This wine has been tended with the greatest of attention from the vine to the cellar, and offers the potential of huge ageing potential. Only 3,200 bottles were produced of this exceptional wine.
IGP Val de Dagne
20 HL / Ha
13.5 % alc./vol
Sandy clay limestone
2019 is our second vintage for this wine. It was a hotter year than 2018. As is our custom for wines of this quality, once the harvest date had been determined we rigorously sorted the berries on the bush to ensure that only perfectly healthy bunches were harvested. We chose a cool early morning to avoid manipulating the grapes when they were hot. Once laid in crates, the grapes were transported to the cellar and then 85% were destemmed and lifted gently into the vat on a conveyor belt. The remaining 15% were added in whole bunches while the vat was being filled.
Nothing else was added, no additives, no sulphites, no yeasts. Fermentation kicked off naturally. The cap was moistened occasionally during the 4-week vatting period.
Once the wine had been approved by tasting, it was run off into barrels after natural sedimentation over 7 days, with malolactic fermentation taking place in barrel.
6 months in barrels one wine old. No fining, 3 g/hl of SO2 at bottling.
Recognition and awards
- James Suckling 2023 91/100
- Jancis Robinson Oct 2022 17/20
- Wine tasting CIVL 2022 Coup de cœur Le Repaire de Bacchus
- Decanter 2022 Silver Medal